Monday, February 2, 2009

Kugelhopf au Lard



So, as some of you know, Mr. Bread Maiden and I are the proud owners of Jennifer McLagan's Fat cookbook, and we've been working our way through it. Perhaps the most interesting recipe we've tried so far is what I made yesterday, kugelhopf au lard. I've been on this fruit bread kick lately, so you might be asking why the sudden shift to savory. Well, this bread is actually very similar to the stollen. It uses mostly the same ingredients, in the same order, except at the point where one would add fruit to the stollen, you add instead bacon, shallots and sage.

The reason this recipe jumped out at me initially was the title. This dish comes from the Alsace region, and the German-French fusion could not be more obvious. The dough is very German, with its eggs and milk, but the french added shallots and sage and made it lighter. Brilliant.

Because yesterday I was busy making three recipes at a time, I didn't get to take as many pictures or pictures of every step. So until I make another one, these will have to suffice.





The milk and eggs in this recipe make the dough so wonderfully light (until you add the grease and bacon). The dough was so oily it was hard to manage. But it rose beautifully both times.



Oh, and before I forget, I think the next item on the docket will have to be this:
http://http://browninterior.blogspot.com/2009/01/picnic-loaf.html.

3 comments:

James The Plate said...

I want some of that bread. I love bacon and I love bread, so this is the perfect blend of everything that is good in this world.

Anonymous said...

The bread was fantastic. Definitely had a flaky pie crust butteriness to it, in a good way. I would highly reccomend the bread and would certianly eat more if it was left in my box or at my apt.

Muffin Recipes said...

Interesting thhoughts