Saturday, June 15, 2013

Apple bread


As I've mentioned before, most of my bread-baking these days is for my church, since Mr. Bread Maiden has sworn off carbs, and Little Bread Toddler is too young for the type of crusty, sourdoughy breads I usually make.  So my church benefits from my itch to bake whenever I scratch it!

While the adult members appreciate my efforts, the gratitude goes to a whole other level with my sunday school class.  They just love when I bring baked goods, no matter what it is.  I try and tie it to the lesson of the day, even if the link is tenuous. 

This apple bread?  It was for a lesson on Adam and Eve.  Get it?

The recipe makes two loaves, which is good because five sunday school kids devoured the first loaf.

Apple Bread

recipe based on this one

You will need:



1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 large eggs
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup granulated sugar
2 cups chopped apples, skin removed (we used gala and macintosh apples)


1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8x4 loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside (I doubled the recipe).


2.  Now, mis en place your ingredients.  I don't think that's a verb in English.



3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves. Set aside.


 4. In a large bowl, add the eggs and beat on medium speed for about 30 seconds. Add in oil, applesauce, and vanilla and mix until smooth. Next, add the sugar and mix until well combined.



5. Slowly add in the flour mixture and mix until flour is barely combined.

 

6. Gently fold in the apple chunks.

 

7. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan(s).


8. Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until loaf is golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
 
9. Cool bread in pan for 10 minutes. Loosen sides and remove from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.

 

 

Happy eating!

No comments: